Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Yummy Baked Cheese and Olive Puffs



Baked Cheese and Olive Puffs

Yield: 4 Dozen

2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
½ cup butter, softened
1 cup all-purpose flour, sifted (I didn't sift)
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon paprika
½ teaspoon dry mustard powder
48 pimento-stuffed green olives (strain them and then dry them slightly on paper towels)

Preheat oven to 400°F.

Beat together the cheese and butter. Stir in the flour, salt, cayenne pepper, paprika and dry mustard powder, blending well. Note: It is easier to mix in the dry ingredients with your hands. I added a bit of milk to make the dough easier to put together.

Divide the dough into four equal pieces. Roll each piece into a rope about 12 inches long. Cut each rope of dough into 12 pieces. Roll a piece of dough into a ball and flatten slightly in the palm of your hand. Place an olive in the center of the flattened ball and wrap the dough around the olive. Roll the pastry covered olive in your hand so that the olive is completely encased in the dough. Repeat with remaining pieces of dough and olives.

Freeze on cookie sheet until firm. Then put into freezer bags. When ready to eat preheat oven to 400 and place the pastry covered olives on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, leaving about one inch space between each them. Bake for 15 minutes or until just lightly brown and firm to the touch.

My mom used to make these when I was growing up and I love them. I'm bringing them to my bookclub tomorrow night.

2 comments:

Lynn said...

I think you should bring these to every book club. They were delicious. Did I mention that you should bring these every month?

Jen said...

Thanks :) That could be arranged I love them! But I think I could eat a whole batch myself.